Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation

So, I recently got my mind blown.


My friend Morgan and I went to the Weisman Art Foundation in Bel Air. Previous to our visit, I had only heard bits of information about it from people, but they all said similar things like, "You just have to see it for yourself" and, "There are paintings on the ceiling! On the ceiling!"


I knew that the Weismans were collectors (and I know his wife is still actively collecting). I also knew that they specialized in fine master works by Modern and Contemporary artists.What I didn't know, was how serious they were. I mean, this was hands down, one of the (if not THE) best collections of modern and contemporary art I have ever seen in my life. I kept saying three phrases over and over again:

"What?! I can't believe this!"

"This is unreal."

"I just don't know what to say, I just don't know. I'm so overwhelmed."

That night, I went to bed dreaming about the art I'd seen. I haven't been this affected by a collection since my first visit to the Louvre. I had creepy nightmares of the hyperrealist human sculptures by Duane Hanson--especially the old sleepy man and Maria, the girl curled up on the couch in the guest bedroom.

Among my favorites were the Frankenthaler panel, the Rothko in the living room, the Magritte in the dining room, the Ruscha in the master bedroom, the large Stella in the annex, the Haring motorcycles,  the Christo in the guest room, the Ernst guest bed, the Paik tv-installation, the Hockney photocollages, the Rivers in the family room, and the Kleins throughout the home. Those are just a few, and it is almost hard to stop there because every single work of art in the home was a knockout.


We were only able to take pictures in the sculpture garden, so I am going to SERIOUSLY recommend you make an appointment to have a tour in this incredible home. They let you sit on the couches and really feel what it would be like to live with these works of art. They kept insisting that the Weismans wanted visitors to experience the home as they had lived in it. It's kind of up to you at this point--either you make an appointment and have a life-changing experience with art, or you don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment