Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Santa Monica Pier


I'd never been to the Santa Monica pier. Weird, right? I've lived in Southern California for my whole life, but for some reason, I'd never gotten around to visiting this particularly famous landmark.

So the other night after work, I had nothing to do. No plans, no back-up plans, nothing. I don't know very many people in Los Angeles yet, and everyone that I do know lives on the Eastside, so it can be a real pain in the you-know-what to get across town at 6 pm. Instead of going home and sprawling out on the couch to watch tv until I fell asleep (embarrassing) like I'd been doing almost every night (embarrassing)....I decided to take myself on a date.


It was like destiny had made it so that I would have the best time ever. I got a parking spot right next to the pier and it only cost me $2.00! A rarity that I greatly appreciated.  As I approached the pier, there was a HUGE group of homeless people who were being fed by some really lovely people. There was a guy singing with a large snake slithering around his arms and neck, and some people were painting seascapes. Police quietly milled about, but it was peaceful. Everyone seemed in harmony--there was a general feeling of goodwill in the air.

I walked onto the pier and immediately felt like I was in that show Rockett Power. Tito! The Squid!  Woogity woogity woogity. You know, that one.

There was a totally charming amusement park, complete with a roller coaster, ferris wheel, and fortune teller.


I meandered down the pier and stopped to breath in the salty air. I wasn't dressed very well for the outing, but for some reason, it didn't really matter. The air whipped my dress around and blew my hair into perfect beach waves. The water was a deep grey-blue, with an diaphanous sheen. As the sun set, it turned periwinkle and the sun blazed on the horizon. Waves lapped against the columns of the pier and seagulls cooed as they coasted across the horizon. A man sat at the edge of the pier and played California Dreaming.


I bought myself a hot dog with chili and fritos and sat on a bench to watch the sun set. I was in no hurry to be anywhere and I have never felt better. I highly recommend taking yourself on a date sometime soon.

1 comment: